The MQTT Client PlugIn allows gPhotoShow to connect to a MQTT broker. This allows gPhotoShow to receive commands and display info on the screen.
MQTT is an OASIS standard messaging protocol for the Internet of Things (IoT). It is designed as an extremely lightweight publish/subscribe messaging transport that is ideal for connecting remote devices with a small code footprint and minimal network bandwidth.
If you are using any kind of home automation probably you are already using an MQTT broker, in this case you can integrate a digital photo frame running gPhotoShow with your home automation infrastructure. You can display informations on photo frame and remote control it from a smartphone or any other device.
This is the plugin main window where you can configure your MQTT broker connection settings:
Item window with topics to display over the slideshow:
Here are two examples of displays, horizontal and vertical:
Here are some of the available commands to remotely control gPhotoShow:
- Pause/restart slideshow
- Next picture
- Turn on/ff monitor
- Mute audio
- Set a date filter to display pictures between two dates
- Set a keyword filter to display pictures containing specific keywords
- Set a rating filter di display pictures with a specific star rating
- Enable/disable some of the configured folders
- Perform a new scan of the configured folder for find new pictures
- Display filename of current picture
- Exclude or delete current picture
To send commands from an Android smartphone you can use "MQTT Dash" app. This app connects to the configured MQTT broker and allows you to configure buttons to publish topics with gPhotoShow commands