gPhotoShow Pro Weather Plugin

Post your questions, bug reports and feature requests here
footloose

gPhotoShow Pro Weather Plugin

Post by footloose »

Hi:

I've been successfully running gPhotoShow Pro 7.4.2.875 for years on my PC and it's never been problematic.
Now I installed it on my new laptop with exactly the same settings, but the weather plugin's not working correctly. Rather than displaying the New York weather, the city I input, it displays New City weather, no matter what city is input, such as Dallas, Tx, or Miami, Florida.
I tried reinstalling everything, but the same problem persists. How can this be fixed? Please see attachments.

Thanks
Attachments
1.jpg
1.jpg (49.51 KiB) Viewed 174271 times
2.jpg
2.jpg (36.12 KiB) Viewed 174271 times
Last edited by footloose on Sun Nov 20, 2022 5:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
gpb
Site Admin

Re: gPhotoShow Pro Weather Plugin

Post by gpb »

Hello,
error 12029 means connection failed because encrypted communication could not be established
This could happen on old windows versions (for example winows 7) that have not been updated. It is also possible connection is blocked by a firewall or another security software
Gianpaolo Bottin
gPhotoShow.com
footloose

Post by footloose »

Thank you for your reply, but I'm running Windows 11 on a brand new HP laptop.
I also tried running gPhotoshow with the firewall disabled and I still get the same error.
Regarding Windows 7, I never had a problem with gPhotoshow on it.
How do I fix this?
gpb
Site Admin

Post by gpb »

On Windows 11 the plugin works well, the error code suggests the plugin is not able to connect to the server but it's hard to guess the reason. It could be something on the pc or a network issue
Did you try all 3 weather providers ?
Gianpaolo Bottin
gPhotoShow.com
footloose

Post by footloose »

Yes, I tried all 3 plugins and checked for updates. Nothing in gPhotoshow connects to the server.
Attachments
updates.jpg
updates.jpg (90.06 KiB) Viewed 174236 times
yahoo.jpg
yahoo.jpg (51.19 KiB) Viewed 174236 times
gpb
Site Admin

Post by gpb »

Yahoo weather api has been retired, it doesn't work any longer
About connection issues I can only repeat to check your computer, firewall, antivirus or any other security program may prevent programs from connecting to internet. Also some windows updates are needed to correctly connect using SSL protocol but this could be a problem only if you stopped automatic updates.
Gianpaolo Bottin
gPhotoShow.com
footloose

Post by footloose »

Finally, but unfortunately without being able to explain why, gPhotoshow is connecting and displaying the weather as it always did. I wish there were a way to know what was temporarily wrong that it wouldn't connect.

There is one issue, however. Whatever font size chosen for the temperature display, it is disregarded and the setting reverts back to font size 16 regular, no matter what size and weight it's set at. Is it supposed to be this way only, font size 16 regular?
weather-display.jpg
weather-display.jpg (107.59 KiB) Viewed 174054 times
font-face-settings..jpg
font-face-settings..jpg (99.56 KiB) Viewed 174059 times
gpb
Site Admin

Post by gpb »

footloose wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 3:20 am There is one issue, however. Whatever font size chosen for the temperature display, it is disregarded and the setting reverts back to font size 16 regular, no matter what size and weight it's set at. Is it supposed to be this way only, font size 16 regular?
Font size is not used because it is automatically calculated to fit text inside the weather pane. If you wish bigger text you must set a bigger size in the settings dialog, the panel will be bigger and also the text will be bigger
Gianpaolo Bottin
gPhotoShow.com
footloose

Post by footloose »

Thank you. Glad to know it's working properly.