hotkeys not working in Win 8 Pro

Post your questions, bug reports and feature requests here
FFleer

Re: hotkeys not working in Win 8 Pro

Post by FFleer »

hi,

Strange indeed!

Let me start off by saying the Windows hotkey idea didn't work. When I'm in-game they don't work .... errr. So I'm back to hoping we can resolve the issue with your application :)

I've just started a corp evaluation of a new AV solution, so tonight I will do more testing to see how it goes. As for CTRL+pgup/down ... your app takes the settings and does not change it. It just doesn't execute....

Just FYI, the hardware in question is a Lenovo W510 laptop. I may need to uninstall the Lenovo tools that allow for "Fn" keys to work ... I don't know?!

Frank
gpb
Site Admin

Post by gpb »

FFleer wrote: Let me start off by saying the Windows hotkey idea didn't work. When I'm in-game they don't work .... errr. So I'm back to hoping we can resolve the issue with your application :)
I am afraid most games get mouse and keyboard input at a very low level, before it is processed by windows and translated to hotkeys.
FFleer wrote: I've just started a corp evaluation of a new AV solution, so tonight I will do more testing to see how it goes. As for CTRL+pgup/down ... your app takes the settings and does not change it. It just doesn't execute....
Thanks, I am aware of the issue with some extended keys, it will be fixed in the next update. I will also take a look whether it is possible to get keyboard input at a lower level but I am not sure it can be done.

Edit:
I did a quick test and it seems it is possible to intercept keyboard input before games but I need to write some code because in this way keys come in a different way and I have to keep trace of ctrl-shift combination inside MouseSS.
Gianpaolo Bottin
gPhotoShow.com
gpb
Site Admin

Post by gpb »

Here is an updated version of MouseSS. In the hotkeys window there is an additional checkbox to activate raw keyboard message handling, try to tick this option and let me know whether it works.
Gianpaolo Bottin
gPhotoShow.com
FFleer

Post by FFleer »

hi again,

The issue is not fixed yet ... not sure what is causing the problem. I'm running a Lenovo W510 with Windows 8 Pro .... not sure if that helps.

Frank
gpb
Site Admin

Post by gpb »

Hard to say what is causing your problem, I tested the program on Windows 7 and 8, the raw input works also when a DirectX program takes the keyboard device exclusively. However it is possible that MouseSS gets the hotkey but changing mouse settings has no effect on that game.
One last thing to try is to see the MouseSS error log.
I attached a zip file containing two reg file, double click on ErrorLogging-ON.reg then restart MouseSS. Try the hotkeys as usual then open the folder C:\Users\YoutUserName\AppData\Roaming\MouseSpeedSwitcher get the log file and send it to me via pm or email (click on the envelop icon on the right)
Attachments
ErrorLogging.zip
(590 Bytes) Downloaded 2252 times
Gianpaolo Bottin
gPhotoShow.com
FFleer

Post by FFleer »

hi ...

I'm now seeing a message about expiry, I hope clicking OK allows the prog to continue working without any issues. Let's talk about me buying it once we get it working properly ;)

I've downloaded the new version, also activated logging and tried to the hotkey to switch between settings. Without any games running, just OS ... nothing happens. I manually changed it, which works. I will now send you the log file for your review.

Let me know, thanks.
FFleer

Post by FFleer »

OK ... this is odd. The app is excluded currently from AV and yet no log file has been generated. There isn't even a folder in C:\Users\YoutUserName\AppData\Roaming\ for MouseSpeedSwitcher. I tried it several times, to enable .. test ... check for log ... disable .......... nothing.

thoughts?
FFleer

Post by FFleer »

Hold up ... I don't know what changed, but its working in Windows as well as in-game now. WOOT!!

I'm using CTRL + SHIFT + PgUp/PgDown -- the check mark for RAW is enabled. I haven't tested it yet to see if it'll work without the RAW option yet.

I will try it again tonight while playing ... to make sure it's good to go. So far, looks like your code change did the trick.

chat soon
FFleer

Post by FFleer »

hi again,

Seems to be ok, but because of the expiry problem now it is causing issues. I appreciate the time you've spent ... but going to move on now.

thanks,
Frank
gpb
Site Admin

Post by gpb »

Hi,
MouseSS is a free program but every 3 months it expires, next week there will be a new version that will work for another three months then it will expire again. If you don't wish to be bothered by the expiration messages you will have to purchase a license.
Gianpaolo Bottin
gPhotoShow.com