v8.5 not automatically starting after my specified wait time

Post your questions, bug reports and feature requests here
cknapp1

v8.5 not automatically starting after my specified wait time

Post by cknapp1 »

31MAR2022
Long time user of GPhotoShow Pro here.

I was hoping the new version v8.5.... would fix the problem I have had with recent previous versions but alas, it has not.

gPhotoShow Pro does not automatically launch the screensaver mode after the specified time I have entered in the WAIT setting, whether that is 5 or 15 minutes, and I end up having to start GPhotoShow Pro manually when leaving my computer unattended. I do have a couple of laptops on which gPhotoShow Pro does automatically begin the slide show of my selected photos after the WAIT time as elapsed.

My rig is a dual-monitor desktop system used for productivity, photo and video editing, and gaming, as well as working as my home server for all my digital content.

I am using Win10 64Bit on a desk top, dual monitor, AMD Ryzen 5 1400 Quad-Core Processor, 3200Mhz, 4Core...., 48GB RAM, AMD Radeon RX5700 XT 8GB VRAM, with 14TB total internal storage (some SSD, some traditional).

Software running in background: Paid version of Kaspersky Internet Security, Carbonite, DropBox, Acronis True Image, Adobe CC Updater, Daemon Tools, Macrium Reflect Disk Imaging, Microsoft Skype, NeroUpdate, NextStart (32 Bit), PnkBstrB.exe, Team Viewer, Title-Bar Date Time Application,

I do have WinStep Xtreme running as toolbar enhancements and have wondered if that is the conflict as it is the only computer I have this installed on, and it is the only computer having issues automatically staring the gPhotoShow Pro slideshow. I have tried disabling WinStep Xtreme in Task Manager, to no avail, and have not wanted to uninstall WinStep Xtreme to test my theory.

I am hoping that the information provided gives a clue to someone who has experienced the issue of gPhotoShow Pro not starting screensaver mode automatically.

Thank you.
Craig Knapp
gpb
Site Admin

Re: v8.5 not automatically starting after my specified wait time

Post by gpb »

Hello,
If the screen saver works from the preview but doesn't start when computer is idle usually the problem is due to windows.
On windows no screen saver starts by itself (it's not gPhotoShow that decides when to start) idle detection is performed by windows then when it decides the system was idle enough it starts the configured screen saver.
There are some things that makes the situation more complicated, some programs (for example media players) disable the screen saver when they are running and windows itself disables the screen saver for some time if you interrupt the screen saver few seconds after it started.
Try to open the windows display applet, choose another screen saver wait for it to start then set again gPhotoShow.
Usually this fixes the issue until the next time it happens.
Gianpaolo Bottin
gPhotoShow.com