Not starting after specified delay

Post your questions, bug reports and feature requests here
gunmetal1

Not starting after specified delay

Post by gunmetal1 »

Screensaver now does not start automatically after the specified delay, although it still runs after I exit the settings screen. The fault appeared about the same time (11th June) as an update of Windows 10 v1903 64bit KB4560960. Could this be the problem? Anyone else noticed the same? Any other suggestions? Graham
gpb
Site Admin

Re: Not starting after specified delay

Post by gpb »

If the screen saver works from the preview but doesn't start when computer is idle usually the problem is due to windows.
On windows no screen saver starts by itself, idle detection is performed by windows then when it decides the system was idle enough it starts the configured screen saver.
There are some things that makes the situation more complicated, some programs (for example media players) disable the screen saver when they are running and windows itself disables the screen saver for some time if you interrupt the screen saver few seconds after it started.
Try to open the windows display applet, choose another screen saver wait for it to start then set again gPhotoShow.
Usually this fixes the issue until the next time it happens.
Gianpaolo Bottin
gPhotoShow.com
gunmetal1

Post by gunmetal1 »

Thanks. I tried your suggestion, but it is still unreliable. Some days it works, some days it doesn't. I have put the gs icon on the task bar so I can quickly open the settings screen, click OK and close. Then it works for the rest of the day! Workable, but still a puzzle. I am using version 1.7.0 Might the latest version work better with the latest Windows 10?
Graham
gpb
Site Admin

Post by gpb »

This issue doesn't depend on gPhotoShow or ControlSS, their version doesn't matter, there is nothing to fix or improve.
On windows no screen saver starts by itself, idle detection is performed by windows then when it decides the system was idle enough it starts the configured screen saver
Gianpaolo Bottin
gPhotoShow.com
gunmetal1

Post by gunmetal1 »

Gianpaolo,
Thanks for your attention and advice
Graham