API Error 8

Post your questions, bug reports and feature requests here
JohnS

Re: API Error 8

Post by JohnS »

Thanks for some more suggesitons.

And yes I know about WinXP. The problem is I have been using some very useful, but old software that goes back to early 1990s, and runs under DOS. No windows version exists, and it is fast, a lot of commandline stuff. Version of Windows beyond XP still run some stuff slower. Latest is not always the best and fastest. And I understand why you would not test under WinXP--a waste of your time for sure
JohnS

Post by JohnS »

I made a video (but could not atach it, so I made PICS of key frames) when I tried "smooth" option. Basicaslly, you can see the wallpaper change process begin, but then it aborts and even clears the current wallpaper to nothing. Maybe this will give you some ideas
Before WallpaperSSP command
Before WallpaperSSP command
vlcsnap-2017-05-19-10h44m21s436.jpg (51.17 KiB) Viewed 7925 times
As far as the change command would go
As far as the change command would go
vlcsnap-2017-05-19-10h44m48s905.jpg (29.34 KiB) Viewed 7925 times
After change finished (aborted?), Previous wallpaper was now REMOVED! on all monitors!
After change finished (aborted?), Previous wallpaper was now REMOVED! on all monitors!
vlcsnap-2017-05-19-10h44m51s561.jpg (29.54 KiB) Viewed 7925 times
gpb
Site Admin

Post by gpb »

It seems windows active desktop fails to set wallpaper, there is another (older) way to set a new wallpaper but currently wallpaperss uses it only when active desktop components are disabled. I don't remember how active desktop works on XP, anyway on next days I will prepare a WallpaperSS version that allows you to use the old method. It should work better.
Gianpaolo Bottin
gPhotoShow.com
JohnS

Post by JohnS »

Oh, well, gee, THANKS!

But I think read on forum that this error also appeared on a non XP system??? Not sure. if so, your work may be useful for all users, not just me
gpb
Site Admin

Post by gpb »

Here is a version where you can disable active desktop:
http://www.gphotoshow.com/files/wpsprosetup-424.exe

Here are a couple of .reg files to disable/enable active desktop interface. Extract them from the zip file and double click on DisableActiveDesktop.reg, accept all security prompt from windows and start WallpaperSS.
DisableActiveDesktop.zip
(680 Bytes) Downloaded 370 times
Gianpaolo Bottin
gPhotoShow.com
JohnS

Post by JohnS »

Ok I will test these. Thanks for all your great support. I'll get back to you
JohnS

Post by JohnS »

Sorry for the long delay here. With the continual API error message I sort of had stopped using WPSSPro. I had downlaoded version 4.24 you gave, and also now have applied the DisableActiceDesktop registry setting, and am back to using WPSSPro on WinXP.

I will see if the API Error now goes away