Jerky Videos

Post your questions, bug reports and feature requests here
richstant

Jerky Videos

Post by richstant »

I have gPhotoshow 6.6.3, running on a Core i3 with intel HD 2000 graphics. I have a number of videos shot with a gopro, which are 1080p60. They play fine in media player, or in VLC. I've set gPhotoshow to use VLC for videos, yet when a video plays through gPhotoshow it's really jerky. Any ideas why this would be?
gpb
Site Admin

Re: Jerky Videos

Post by gpb »

Unfortunately VLC plays video with different settings when it is used inside a third party application. I didn't find a way to fix this issue since it seems to be hardcoded inside VLC, the final result is that depending on your computer VLC may not be able to play video with best possible settings and playback may be jercky.
Some time ago I tried VLC 3.0 nighly build and it seems they fixed the issue, if you wish to try here is a link:
http://nightlies.videolan.org/
Gianpaolo Bottin
gPhotoShow.com
richstant

Post by richstant »

Thanks for that - using the 3.0.0 nightlies fixed the problem, although it took me a few goes to find a nightly that ran (the latest nightlies all gave me errors), and I also found out that I had to use the 32-bit version of VLC, gphotoshow wouldn't recognise the 64-bit version was installed. However it now seems to be working well thanks!
aneedham

Post by aneedham »

I have this problem also and solved it the nightlies, but somehow all of my preferences became uninstalled and now I cant remember how I directed it to the nightly VLC program.
gpb
Site Admin

Post by gpb »

Now there is a preview of VLC 3.0 available here:
http://people.videolan.org/~jb/Builds/360/

Simply download and install.
Gianpaolo Bottin
gPhotoShow.com
corky@peavys.net

Post by corky@peavys.net »

Windows 10, intel graphics, i3 processor, 4G mem.

Fails for me. Worse than jerky, a frame or two then hangs then after many seconds some distorted video etc. Similar with vlc default settings. Setting video quality post processing to 0 in the stand alone vlc it works OK in version 2.2.5.1, but the change did not apply when using gphoto show.

So I found the command line to do it: --postproc-q=0

I tested by launching vlc from the command line with that switch and it worked!

But when I added that in gphotoshow under "additional vlc startup options" it still did not work. :-(

Help!
gpb
Site Admin

Post by gpb »

Hello,
unfortunately not all VLC parameters can be used from gPhotoShow because VLC itself behave in a different way when used inside third party program. Try the preview of version 3.0 from the link above, it should work better.
Gianpaolo Bottin
gPhotoShow.com
corky@peavys.net

Post by corky@peavys.net »

Unfortunately gphotoshow pops up a message that it's not compatible with that. When I go ahead, it just shows blank screens.
gpb
Site Admin

Post by gpb »

Which gPhotoShow Pro version are you using ? Version 7 should be compatible with VLC 3 but only with 32 bit version.
Gianpaolo Bottin
gPhotoShow.com
nosnoop

Post by nosnoop »

I am having similar problem, and apart from the first video (MTS files from Sony A6000), all subsequent files gave only black screen and audio using latest VLC 2.x.

Would other video formats make any difference?
I would leave using nightlies VLC 3.x build as last resort, as I plan to run as digital photo/video frame for hours at a time, and I don't want to deal with instability or crashes.