Issue with GIFs

Post your questions, bug reports and feature requests here
Spellbound

Issue with GIFs

Post by Spellbound »

So I've used this software for years, across 3 computers and recently got another PC and just bought another copy for this computer- Best slideshow making program out there.

The problems is, my GIFs are now running in slow motion and with a terrible framerate... Video is fine- Its only gifs.

The strange thing is, this is a gaming computer- I'll spare you listing all my specs but my GPU alone is a GTX1080 and I'm running with 32 gigs or Ram... I've ran this probram before with wal-mart computers, no dedicated GPU and had no issues whatsoever.

The fact is, this isnt that big of a deal to me since I rarely add GIFs to my slideshow but its a big enough deal that I figured I come here and see if anyone else has this issue and what the solution could be.

As I said, the video and everything runs perfect- Even HD video. But a small , low quality gif runs like a slideshow now and it never has in the past.

thanks
gpb
Site Admin

Re: Issue with GIFs

Post by gpb »

Hello,
gPhotoShow Pro plays animated video without using hardware acceleration for this reason it could be slow in particular if gifs have a high framerate and it is configured to play them full screen on a high dpi display. Only thing you can do to improve framerate is to untick the option to play gif full screen. You can find the option in Images page, button "Gif Settings..."
Gianpaolo Bottin
gPhotoShow.com
Spellbound

Post by Spellbound »

gpb wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:27 am Hello,
gPhotoShow Pro plays animated video without using hardware acceleration for this reason it could be slow in particular if gifs have a high framerate and it is configured to play them full screen on a high dpi display. Only thing you can do to improve framerate is to untick the option to play gif full screen. You can find the option in Images page, button "Gif Settings..."
Thats kind of why this is so strange. these same GIFs play totally fine on my old computer(s)- The only thing different is this computer and the updated version of gphoto. I've tried both full screen and not and its the same thing but oddly this wasnt the case before with these gifs.

OH! you know what- This just occurred to me. When you say high DPI display that rings a bell- I also have a new monitor. I never even thought that that might be a problem. Thats it...

Thanks.
gpb
Site Admin

Post by gpb »

High dpi monitor is not an issue by itself but it means display resolution is higher and displaying images without hw acceleration may be slower
Gianpaolo Bottin
gPhotoShow.com
Spellbound

Post by Spellbound »

Yup thats it.

Any chance of hardware acceleration in the future?

Regardless, this program is amazing.