GPS error after resuming from hibernation

Post your questions, bug reports and feature requests here
paul1965

GPS error after resuming from hibernation

Post by paul1965 »

I have one PC that hibernates automatically on a daily basis (runs W8.1). After logging back in, GPS resumes for about a half second, then displays an error message that it couldn't load an image and flashes to a black screen (GPS is set to run Photowall type 2). The only way to fix the problem is to escape out of GPS then start it all over again. I've never had this issue with other screensavers, and all of my screensavers point to the same folder on the same PC on my network. Do you have any suggestions on preventing the error from happening?
gpb
Site Admin

Re: GPS error after resuming from hibernation

Post by gpb »

Did you try with images on a local folder ?
Gianpaolo Bottin
gPhotoShow.com
paul1965

Post by paul1965 »

I haven't tried that since I don't have any images on a local folder; they're all on the remote PC. I did however disable the option to remember the last image and will see if that fixes it when the PC hibernates next on Monday.
gpb
Site Admin

Post by gpb »

That option has no effect, it is used only when gPhotoShow starts. In your case it is resumed from hibernation, in that case gPhotoShow has to discard all loaded images because DirecX needs to be restared. So it starts with a black page and tries to load images form the remote computer, this could require some time and if network has not been restored could cause errors.
Did you try to wait some time after the computer resumes from hybernation ?
Another thing your could try is not use photowall, switch to pan&zoom or simple DirectX transitions, in this case gPhotoShow only loads one image and should resume faster.
Gianpaolo Bottin
gPhotoShow.com
paul1965

Post by paul1965 »

I haven't tried P&Z mostly because I have no intention of running anything but Photowall on this particular PC. I will however try adjusting the resume from hibernate time and see if that helps GPS continue before I log back in.
gpb
Site Admin

Post by gpb »

I understand but it would be useful to understand if the issue is due to the photowall code or something else.
Anyway you could enable gPhotoShow error logging (About tab of configuration window) then after gPhotoShow resumes wait some time, stop it and get the log file. Then send it to me by email or private message.
Gianpaolo Bottin
gPhotoShow.com
paul1965

Post by paul1965 »

I think you are correct that it's because of how photowall loads it's images, as the other screensavers I've successfully used in the past loaded them one at a time like P&Z does. I'll switch to P&Z though and see what happens and will let you know. Thanks for your quick responses...
paul1965

Post by paul1965 »

Well, I'm not exactly sure what the issue is. I changed the resume time so the PC is on for 30 minutes before I get home, and only 1 out of 4 times did GPS continue to work (the other 3 I had to ESC out then relaunch it). Yesterday I switched to 2D and GPS worked fine this afternoon, so I'll try again tomorrow and see what happens. I have a feeling though you are correct in that it's how the pics are loaded and Photowall probably won't work correctly for me at all.
gpb
Site Admin

Post by gpb »

2D transition work better because there is no need to restart DirectX. Everything is handled inside gPhotoShow.
DirectX is rather tricky because the library needs to be reset and all loaded images discarded, in addition there are drivers and external components that must be restores to the previous state, if one of the components fails to restart or restore the previous state gPhotoShow fails to restart the slideshow and must closed.
Anyway until now only a couple of users had problems resuming the computer from sleep/hibernation while gPhotoShow is running.
Gianpaolo Bottin
gPhotoShow.com