DirectX transitions disable aero

Post your questions, bug reports and feature requests here
Kris

DirectX transitions disable aero

Post by Kris »

Hi, I've discovered a problem with gPhotoShow Pro on my system. When transitions are set to directx mode - either cross fade or pan & zoom - when the screensaver kicks in aero gets disabled and I am unable to restore it without a reboot. When using 2d transitions aero remains fine. I've used dxdiag but no problems reported, also used directx web installer but it says I'm up-to-date. I'm currently using the trial version and I want to purchase but not unless I can get cross fade working without it killing aero. Software installed:

Win 7 x64
ATI catalyst 13.4 drivers
gPhotoShow Pro 6.5.0 trial
Wallpaper Slideshow Pro 3.4.0 trial
Ultramon 3.2.2

thanks
kris
gpb
Site Admin

Re: DirectX transitions disable aero

Post by gpb »

Hello,by default gphotoshow disables aero to improve performance on low end systems, however normally aero is restored when the program exits. Since this is basic windows feature and doesn't depend on gphotoshow there is something not working correctly on your system, maybe it's the display adapter driver or something else.
gphotoshow has a hidden setting to prevent disabling aero but at the moment I am out of office and I can't send you the setting. On next week I will be back and send you how to disable this feature.
Gianpaolo Bottin
gPhotoShow.com
Kris

Post by Kris »

thanks. Digging a bit deeper it appears to be some sort of win7/multi-monitor bug, more common with ATI cards but also reported by some nvidia users. It seems to have been around for a long time but never acknowledged by microsoft, though it is reported fixed in win8 - however i refuse to use win8 because it is the devil. If you can send me that tweek it might fix it in this case.
gpb
Site Admin

Post by gpb »

I didn't know this issue was so common, on older/slower computer disabling aero was needed to gain a good frame rate probably now most computers don't need it. Anyway on next week I will send you a fix.
Gianpaolo Bottin
gPhotoShow.com
gpb
Site Admin

Post by gpb »

Hello,
attached to this message you can find a zip file containing 2 reg file, uncompress them to a folder of your choice then double click on WinAero-ON.reg accept the windows warning messages and enter the settings into system registry.
With this setting gPhotoShow never disables windows aero but on systems with slow display adapters this may have an impact on performances or on cpu load (and power consumption).
Attachments
WinAero.zip
(499 Bytes) Downloaded 2089 times
Gianpaolo Bottin
gPhotoShow.com
Kris

Post by Kris »

Thanks I put the registry patch in last night and it appears to have fixed the problem.
gpb
Site Admin

Post by gpb »

Version 6.6 now has an option to avoid disabling aero
Gianpaolo Bottin
gPhotoShow.com