Automatic Mouse Detection and Switching

Post your questions, bug reports and feature requests here
hotbread

Automatic Mouse Detection and Switching

Post by hotbread »

Hi there,

I love Mouse Speed Switcher, but the only issue I'm having is the change in mouse isn't automatically detected. When I first installed the software it worked perfectly, but after the first reboot the software no longer detects when I change mice. Do you have any thoughts on what I can do, please?

I'm using version 3.1.1, and Windows 8.

Thanks.
gpb
Site Admin

Re: Automatic Mouse Detection and Switching

Post by gpb »

MouseSS detects devices by using the ID assigned by windows, if you connect the device to another USB port windows assigns another ID and MouseSS can't detect the mouse any longer. Usually the device ID doesn't change when windows is restarted but if your mouse is always connected to the same port maybe the device ID was changed for another reason. Does it happens every time you restart the computer or it happened only once ? Is your mouse directly connected to USB port or is it a wireless mouse ? In the last case maybe the cause it the driver which assigns a new ID on every boot.
Gianpaolo Bottin
gPhotoShow.com
crawler9

Post by crawler9 »

gpb wrote:MouseSS detects devices by using the ID assigned by windows, if you connect the device to another USB port windows assigns another ID and MouseSS can't detect the mouse any longer. Usually the device ID doesn't change when windows is restarted but if your mouse is always connected to the same port maybe the device ID was changed for another reason. Does it happens every time you restart the computer or it happened only once ? Is your mouse directly connected to USB port or is it a wireless mouse ? In the last case maybe the cause it the driver which assigns a new ID on every boot.
Would you consider adding the ability to assign multiple IDs to the same profile? This would be great for two reasons: One, I have more than one mouse with which I use the exact same settings, and two, it would allow linking the ID assigned by attaching the same mouse to different USB ports to the same profile.

Right now, I have seven mouse profiles: one for my Synaptic ClickPad, three for my trackball mouse (one on each of three USB ports) and three for my gaming mouse (again, one on each of three USB ports). I use the same settings for both the trackball mouse and the ClickPad, so the ability to link multiple IDs to the same profile would allow me to reduce my seven profiles to two profiles: one for the ClickPad + Trackball Mouse, and one for my gaming mouse. Two profiles would be significantly easier to maintain, because I wouldn't have to go through and make changes to three or four different profiles whenever I decided to make one small change.
gpb
Site Admin

Post by gpb »

For now I have no plan to add more than one device for each setting but I understand it can be useful so I added you suggestion to the features request list.
Gianpaolo Bottin
gPhotoShow.com