Windows 8 2nd monitor incorrect aspect ratio

Post your questions, bug reports and feature requests here
Montyman

Windows 8 2nd monitor incorrect aspect ratio

Post by Montyman »

Hi ,

I have just upgraded my laptop to Windows 8 and now when I connect a second monitor (which acts as an extension of monitor 1) the aspect ratio of the wallpaper on monitor 2 is incorrect (horizontal too narrow). I am running v1.5.1 which according to the notes seems to include a bug fix for this issue. I have tried reinstalling it but it did not fix the issue. I have also tried changing the "Default Wallpaper Position" options setting, but whatever setting I try it makes no difference to what is displayed.

If anyone could shine some light on this issue I would appreciate it.

Many thanks.

Monty
gpb
Site Admin

Re: Windows 8 2nd monitor incorrect aspect ratio

Post by gpb »

How did you configure the "Position" field inside the "Wallpaper Properties" group ? Please note that the setting is specific for each file listed in the window, to change the option you must select all files then change the position setting. The "Default Wallpaper Position" is used only for new files you add to the list.
If "Position" is set to "Auto Fit" WallpaperSS should keep the original aspect ratio of your images and add colored bands if required. If position is set to "Fit to screen" images will be stretched to always fill the screen. BTW, after changing "Position" you have to manually change wallpaper to see the effect of the new setting.
Gianpaolo Bottin
gPhotoShow.com
Montyman

Post by Montyman »

Hi,

That pointed me to what the problem is... Searching for the "Position" option I found the "A different wallpaper on each monitor" option where Position is permanently greyed out. If I select (tick) it and change the wallpaper the Aspect on Monitor 2 is now correct. Note: Default wallpaper position is set to Auto Fit.
Problem summary: If running Windows 8 and you do NOT have "A different wallpaper on each monitor" ticked but your monitors are different aspects (mine are 1=1440x900, 2=1280x1024) it does not handle each monitors aspects independently. When I ran Windows 7 with the same version of WPSSLT this was not a problem.

Does this make sense and would you agree?

Thank you.
gpb
Site Admin

Post by gpb »

Yes, what you say makes sense.
When the option "A different wallpaper on each monitor" is not ticked WallpaperSS_LT and the position is not set as "Tiled" WallpaperSS_LT resizes the wallpaper to fit the first monitor then windows take care of displaying the wallpaper on all monitors but of course the aspect ratio may not match.
This kind of issues has been fixed on WallpaperSS Pro which uses a different logic to create the wallpaper.
Gianpaolo Bottin
gPhotoShow.com