figuring positioning

Post your questions, bug reports and feature requests here
djklein

figuring positioning

Post by djklein »

I would prefer all my pictures be displayed in the "center" position, which I understand is the setting to use if I don't want my pictures cropped or stretched (is that correct?).

It doesn't seem to be working - sometimes it works, other times I get a zoomed-in portion of about 1/4 of the photo.
If I switch to "auto-resize," I don't have the zooming problem, but it's still not consistent - some photos are resized to fill the screen, while others have the background bars on the sides which I would only expect to see in 'center' position.

Reading the help, I was a little confused about the "Wallpaper Properties" in the main window vs. "Default Wallpaper properties" in the Options window. In the main window, all controls in the "Wallpaper Properties" box are greyed out, INCLUDING the "use default settings" box (which is shown as grey and solid). I'm only able to change the "Default Wallpaper properties" in the Options window. Could this have something to do with my problem?

Thanks!
gpb
Site Admin

Re: figuring positioning

Post by gpb »

djklein wrote:I would prefer all my pictures be displayed in the "center" position, which I understand is the setting to use if I don't want my pictures cropped or stretched (is that correct?).

It doesn't seem to be working - sometimes it works, other times I get a zoomed-in portion of about 1/4 of the photo.
If I switch to "auto-resize," I don't have the zooming problem, but it's still not consistent - some photos are resized to fill the screen, while others have the background bars on the sides which I would only expect to see in 'center' position.
It is not easy to give you an explanation without knowing the size of your images, generally speaking if you have images bigger that the screen you can't have them centered, they must be resized or cropped. When using the "center" position WallpaperSS displays images centered ONLY if they are smaller than the screen, otherwise they will be cropped.
"Auto Resize" usually is the best choice, it displays small images centered and resizes bigger images but it avoids to distort them, for this reason you see background bars. "Auto Resize" has some options that allows you to choose the behavior and avoid the bars. Click on the "Options" button in the main window, then go to the "Auto resize" section and choose the options you wish, for example "Stretch and Crop to fit the screen" allows you avoid the background bars.
djklein wrote: Reading the help, I was a little confused about the "Wallpaper Properties" in the main window vs. "Default Wallpaper properties" in the Options window. In the main window, all controls in the "Wallpaper Properties" box are greyed out, INCLUDING the "use default settings" box (which is shown as grey and solid). I'm only able to change the "Default Wallpaper properties" in the Options window. Could this have something to do with my problem?
"Wallpaper Properties" on the main window allows you to change the setting on a specific set of pictures. For example you wish most photos to be "auto resized" but some of them should "centered", in this case you have to select all the pictures to change, remove the tick "Use default setting" and set the settings you like. The option "Use default setting" is grayed when there are no pictures selected.
Gianpaolo Bottin
gPhotoShow.com
djklein

Re: figuring positioning

Post by djklein »

Thanks.
I figured out the sizing thing and didn't have a chance to write yet (you're right, the zooming is when the original picture is larger than the screen).

I get it now that the main window option is for selected photos. I hadn't realized that - which is why I hadn't tried selecting photos to see if that would activate the controls. Thanks