works for about some amount of time then stops and defaults to windows

Post your questions, bug reports and feature requests here
unrequited

works for about some amount of time then stops and defaults to windows

Post by unrequited »

I have a Kensington Expert Wireless Trackball and I'm guessing it's the KensingtonWorks software which is fighting MSS. It can't be exited or then the button mapping won't work (it has 4 buttons, so if software is not running you can only use 3 of them). My other mouse is a Logitech G604. I see the balloon popup saying I'm using the trackball, but the sensitivity isn't correct, and if I open MSS and click "GET" next to the trackball settings, you can see that they're not set correctly. I've used the little "A" to make sure each profile is mapped to the correct hardware and switching between the two I'll get the switching balloon notifications. The Mouse (G604) always is correct because the MSS settings match the Windows defaults. Any suggestions?
Attachments
Snag_13b28b6b.png
Snag_13b28b6b.png (60.34 KiB) Viewed 4788 times
unrequited

Re: works for about some amount of time then stops and defaults to windows

Post by unrequited »

If I don't open the control panel and instead right-click on the system tray icon and reselect the already selected Trackball profile, it then works for awhile (a minute or two).
gpb
Site Admin

Post by gpb »

Hello,
MouseSS uses the standard windows functions to modify mouse parameters. From your description it seems that the trackball software/driver has its own configuration that overrides the standard windows one.
I think there is no way to fix the problem, as long as the trackball software is running it will always use its parameters overriding those set by MouseSS.
Gianpaolo Bottin
gPhotoShow.com
unrequited

Post by unrequited »

Okay, thanks for the heads up. Got it fixed for anybody else who finds this eventually and has a Kensington Expert Wireless Trackball Mouse, here's what I did, but it's a slog.

1) Uninstall kensingtonworks but keep the install msi
2) use lessmsi to extract the appropriate mouse driver directory from the msi (SourceDir\\Kensington\\KensingtonWorks2\\drivers\\Win10\\x64\)
3) install the tbwkern.inf by right-click-->install'ing it
4) install rewasd
5) use muted remaps (see screenshot) to set the 4 buttons (see screenshot 1)
6) use custom chording shortcuts to do what you want (see screenshot 2)
7) use awesome Mouse Speed Switcher to separate mouse sensitivity / scroll / whatever else you want (see screenshot 3)

Thanks Kensington for making me go through all of this b.s. to use two mice how I want them to be used.

Wrote up reddit post here for posterity.https://www.reddit.com/r/Trackballs/com ... trackball/
Attachments
screenshot 3
screenshot 3
Snag_641120.png (60.05 KiB) Viewed 4777 times
screenshot 2
screenshot 2
Snag_62bf6b.png (298.64 KiB) Viewed 4777 times
screenshot 1
screenshot 1
Snag_61041e.png (751.18 KiB) Viewed 4777 times
gpb
Site Admin