Restart slideshow

Post your questions, bug reports and feature requests here
bajnes

Restart slideshow

Post by bajnes »

Hallo, Is it possible that the window "Restart Slideshow" doesn't appear. I am writing an application and I want the slide show starts from the beginning, which means from the first picture, without being asked "from image number" I have to start. The hotkey "r" for example does it, but it pups also this window up. By selecting "open control window", I see there is a reset-sign, which can start the slideshow from the begin without asking from image number, but I couldn't find the related hotkey combination for that. Is there any hotkey or any combination or command to do it? Thank you.
gpb
Site Admin

Re: Restart slideshow

Post by gpb »

Hello,
with the last release gPhotoShow display that window to give user the possibility to start a sequential slideshow from a given point. Unfortunately there is no hotkey to restart the slideshow without that window. I don't know how you send keys to gPhotoShow but your could either wait for the window with the image number to appear then send an Enter key or send a specific WM_USER message to the gPhotoShow main window.
If you know how to send a WM_USER message I can give you details on how to send a specific message to restart the slideshow without displaying any window.
Gianpaolo Bottin
gPhotoShow.com
bajnes

Post by bajnes »

Hallo, thank you for your reply.
I wrote the application in Autohotkey codes. As I checked I can implement WM_USER message in AHK. Could you give me details on how to send a specific message to restart the slideshow without displaying any window? Thanks.
gpb
Site Admin

Post by gpb »

Hello,
yes, with autohotkey you should be able to send any kind of message, this is the message to restart the slideshow:

Msg: 0x404
wParam: 5
lParam: 0

in autohotkey should be something like this:
SendMessage, 0x404,5,0,,gPhotoShow
Gianpaolo Bottin
gPhotoShow.com
bajnes

Post by bajnes »

Super! It works. Many thanks for your quick and detailed support. Kind regards :-)
bajnes

Post by bajnes »

Hallo,
I am going to give you a feedback and kindly ask you for a possible optimization to make a top application with your support.
I checked the functionality of SendMessage, 0x404,5,0,,gPhotoShow. It is ad hoc and straight but in comparison with the combination of the hotkey "Restart from beginning" and {Enter} the result is considerably slower. Seemingly because it waits until the running pictures in each of two displays' slide-show end. (Consider, it can take very long, if the given delay for each picture is relatively long!)
Despite of that the "Restart from begining" and {Enter} stops the running picture and starts fast from the beginning. Do you have any idea or solution to make a faster WM-User Message in AHK? Thank you.
gpb
Site Admin

Post by gpb »

Hello,
there is no difference between the restart performed by the hotkey and the same action performed by the message. When using any random mode the code is exactly the same, when using sequential mode the code executed when the hotkey is pressed performs the following actions:
-pause the slideshow
-display the windows
-restart the slideshow
-rebuild files list
-display first image

When the message is received the first 3 steps are skipped but I don't think this make any difference anyway you can do the same by sending the following message to pause/restart the slideshow:
SendMessage, 0x404,1,0,,gPhotoShow

It is possible the delay you noticed is due to image preloading, when using DirectX as soon as an image is displayed gPhotoShow preloads the next image and since the file loading operation can't be interrupted it is possible you have to wait a few seconds to see the slideshow to restart.
Gianpaolo Bottin
gPhotoShow.com
bajnes

Post by bajnes »

Hi, thank you for the information. Now I am informed better about the functionality of the commands above. There is no directx installed on my test-PC.
The problem is, after running the restart command ( 0x404,5,0) one display shows the start-photo, but the other retards and I can not control this. Generally the photos are shown not simultaneously. I even tried to solve the delay-problem via sending this command twice (with a 50ms delay) to get on both panels almost simultaneous photos. but unsuccessful.

On my settings in the Configurations--> Multiple Monitors --> "Synchronized image change..." is not highlighted and not selectable. I think at moment it could be the key-solution. But it can not be activated! Do you have any idea?
PC and GC are in hi-performance category.

(FYI: Short explanation of my application: To present on two displays, with different resolutions different test-pictures; however, after pressing a key, program must promptly show on both monitors the starting related Photo. On the are the display-specifications are shown.)
gpb
Site Admin

Post by gpb »

When using standard 2D transitions gPhotoShow is not able to display pictures on all monitors at the same time because transitions are very cpu intensive, it always updates one monitor after the other.
Only when using DirectX gPhotoShow can perform transitions on all monitors at the same time. So first of all I would advise to switch to DirectX transition, then in the multiple monitors section you could try to tick the option "Each monitor has its own timing" or to clear that option and tick "Synchronized image change" (this option is available only with DirectX).
If you are using a windows version newer that XP you don't need to install DirectX the version included in windows should be enough.
Gianpaolo Bottin
gPhotoShow.com