Shortcuts to Network Drive Files

Post your questions, bug reports and feature requests here
robo

Shortcuts to Network Drive Files

Post by robo »

Hi - I am a registered user of gPhotoShow pro 4.8.3.

To create an "album" of photos I wish to see on my computer as a screen saver, I have always copied shortcuts from the files i like to a separate folder called "Album Shortcuts". This has worked great for me in the past (I don't duplicate information and only see the subset of photos I want).

However, I recently moved all my images to a Networked Attached Storage harddrive such that my photos can be accessed by the entire family on any device. I have updated all the shortcuts to point to the new network drive (and confirmed they work). However, the screensaver now stays "black" for minutes before starting.

I have tried all the file synchronization and list options within the "File Options" menu to no avail.

I noticed that if i select my network drive image folder (X:\Pictures) as a directory within gPhotoShow, the screen saver comes up almost immediately. However, if i create a directory of shortcuts on either my C: drive or X: network drive, there is a tremendous delay.

It almost seems like the software is actually copying the images over to the local drive if it is a shortcut to a network drive image. And the length of the delay scales with the number of shortcuts.

Is there any way to avoid this? Thanks!!!
gpb
Site Admin

Re: Shortcuts to Network Drive Files

Post by gpb »

I apologize for the delay, I didn't notice this topic.
Since version 4 gPhotoShow Pro is able to perform a background directory scan, when this option is enabled it takes a long time to start only the first time. Following times it will will start using a cached list saved on hard disk in the meanwhile it scans configured folders for new/deleted files.
About shortcuts, gPhotoShow uses them only as pointers to a directory so there is no additional work involved but maybe windows itself add some additional time when gPhotoShow uses them. Without a log file from gPhotoShow it's hard to guess the reason of such long time.
Gianpaolo Bottin
gPhotoShow.com
umbilicalbungee

Re: Shortcuts to Network Drive Files

Post by umbilicalbungee »

Thanks for this post. It helped me diagnose this long loading problem with my mapped network drive. I'm not using shortcuts, but it was scanning my folders every time before the slideshow started. After checking "Enable Background files list sync..." under File Options it starts much quicker, though there is still some delay when clicking preview.