#25 in the FAQ

Post your questions, bug reports and feature requests here

#25 in the FAQ

Post by 256 »

From the FAQ page:

<<
25. Is it possible to display images following a specified order without renaming all files ?.

Yes, it's is very easy. You can provide to gPhotoShow one or more lists of files ordered in the way you wish. Simply create a text file with a filename (with full path) on each line then save it with .glst file extension. Save it in a folder scanned by gPhotoShow (and different from the folder where the images are stored) and remove any other image from that folder, set sequential display with no sort and gPhotoShow will display images exactly as they ordered in the text file.
>>

Anybody else able to get this to work? I thought the key might be where you dropped the ".glst" file, but I've tried everywhere gPhotoShow might scan & had no joy.

For me, the order of pictures listed by path+filenames in the .glst file is simply ignored & the alphabetical order is displayed (when I set sequential display with no sort). I've used just a small test directory of 4 jpegs with a saved .gss file.

Thanks for any help.
gpb
Site Admin

Re: #25 in the FAQ

Post by gpb »

It should work exactly as describedin the FAQ, I tested version 5.2.2 few minutes ago.
It doesn't matter where the .glst file is placed provided gPhotoShow finds it.
One important thing is to avoid to add to the images list any folder containing images, you should create a folder with only the .glst file and add that single folder. In this way you are sure the only files displayed comes from that list. Another thing is to clear the cache by clicking on the button "Clear Cache" in the "Files Options" section, depending on which options you used it is possible gPhotoShow starts displaying pictures from the cache using the old ordering.
Gianpaolo Bottin
gPhotoShow.com

Post by 256 »

I thought your suggestion to clear to cache would fix it, but it did not.

I have gotten it to work a couple times by starting with a new image directory, constructing a new .glst file for that image directory, and using the "gPhotoShow SlideShow Maker" shortcut to create a new .gss file (not the context menu "Edit slideshow" option).

Although if that does work, it only works the first time, not thereafter. Also, that proceedure does not consistently work every time, which is very puzzling (the last half dozen times I've tried it hasn't worked). Reinstalling the program also did not work.

I think I'll have to give up on that feature...

Otherwise, the program works great. It's a fine piece of work with a lot more going for it than the competition. The price point is also just right. Too many utilities want to charge twice that amount which I believe just encorages piracy.
gpb
Site Admin

Post by gpb »

It's hard to guess what causes that erratic behavior, I was enable to reproduce it. The only way is to take a look at the gPhotoShow log file.
Enable gPhotoShow error logging in the About section of the configuration window, save the gss file and run the slideshow. When you think it doesn't display pictures in the correct order get the log file and send it to me (click on the email icon on the right of this post)
Gianpaolo Bottin
gPhotoShow.com