Information Overlay on Collage causes app to freeze

Post your questions, bug reports and feature requests here
jeremai

Information Overlay on Collage causes app to freeze

Post by jeremai »

Hi. I've been using Wallpaper Slideshow Pro v4.2 for about five years and upgraded to v5.2.2 today as it's a great program. I'm running 64 bit on Windows 10.

I left my settings from v4 intact. However, as soon as v5 tried changing the wallpaper it would just show as 'busy' with a greyed out icon in the system tray, and the process CPU usage running at around 35%. The only option is to end the process in Task Manager.

I uninstalled and tried a clean new install without preserving settings from v4. This worked, so I then tried changing settings one by one. I narrowed down the issue to enabling Information Overlay on collages. With this enabled, the program just hangs when trying to change wallpaper. I let it run for about 15 minutes but it just remained 'busy' and never finished. It's the same regardless of choosing Snapshot Scrapbook 1 or 2, and displaying the information on the image or the frame.

The tag I had set to display on the Images Info tab was [Iptc.Caption]. I've tried changing this to use the main [.Title] instead but still have the same issue.

I wondered if the issue might be captions with long text or special characters so I tried setting the program to only use a single folder of images with both the title and caption set to a single character on all images, but unfortunately it doesn't make any difference. It seems v5 just won't work at all for me with information overlay enabled on collages.
gpb
Site Admin

Re: Information Overlay on Collage causes app to freeze

Post by gpb »

Hello,
thanks for reporting the problem. I am able to reproduce it.
In the next few days I will look for the cause of the problem. I will keep you updated
Gianpaolo Bottin
gPhotoShow.com
gpb
Site Admin

Post by gpb »

The issue has been fixed in version 5.2.3
https://www.gphotoshow.com/wallpaper-sl ... nload.html
Gianpaolo Bottin
gPhotoShow.com
jeremai

Post by jeremai »

Thanks for sorting that so quickly! I notice it's now cutting text off at 64 characters, which I guess is by design as part of the fix? I've actually been working on a script the last couple of days to split my long text into separate titles and captions, so it's not too big a deal, although I still have some that are too long.
gpb
Site Admin

Post by gpb »

There is no fixed limit, it depends on font size and pictures size. You could make the text smaller but then it will be difficult to read
Gianpaolo Bottin
gPhotoShow.com
jeremai

Post by jeremai »

OK, that makes sense. Thanks again.