Feature Request: Log Filename

Post your questions, bug reports and feature requests here
Larry

Feature Request: Log Filename

Post by Larry »

As I sit and enjoy watching my pictures pass by I often see pictures that need editing or other changes. I could hit 'I' and immediately open the file in IrfanView (or your favorite editor) and do the edit.

But it would be really handy if I could set up a keyboard letter, say 'L' to add the file to a list without interrupting the screensaver. Then later I can retrieve the list and go edit those pictures.

In the setup under File Options is a checkbox to list all pictures as they are displayed. What I'd like to have is a way to list just the ones I select as the screensaver is running.

You could add a checkbox under Slideshow Options, Keys...
Action Key
Add Filename to List L (or whatever key you choose)

Thanks so much for such an entertaining and useful program. I've been a gPhotoShow fan for many years!
gpb
Site Admin

Re: Feature Request: Log Filename

Post by gpb »

Hello,
the feature you need is already available in gPhotoShow Pro since you could simply use an external tool to do it.
- Download the attached txt file
- Save it to a directory of your choice
- Open it with notepat or another text editor change the path of the list (c:\temp\gps-list.txt) with one of you choice
- Save then change file extension from .txt to .bat
- Open gPhotoShow setting window -> Slideshow Options -> Keys -> Advanced -> Editor & Tools Settings assign to one of the tools the .bat file you just edited
- Assign a hotkey to the tool

Now every time you will press the hotkey the file name of current image will be added to the list. To reset the list simply delete it.
addfile-to-list.txt
(30 Bytes) Downloaded 492 times
Gianpaolo Bottin
gPhotoShow.com
Larry

Post by Larry »

Thank you! Except I can't get it to work. When I hit my hotkey (L) gPhotoshow locks up and trips a Windows error:

Windows Protected your PC
Windows SmartScreen prevented an unrecognized app from running. Running this app might put your PC at risk.

I tried adding an EXIT after the ECHO command in the .bat file but that didn't help.

I'm running Windows 8.1.
Larry

Post by Larry »

I got it working! I had to turn off the silly Windows SmartScreen Filter.

Works great. Thank you!

ps. Note that if you use a path name for the file destination that has spaces you need to put the path in double quotes.
e.g.,
echo %1 >>"C:\Users\Larry\Pictures\Photo Editing\gPhotoshow-Later-List.txt"
dbk

Post by dbk »

This useful function allows one to generate a list of image files "on the fly", and the resulting list is saved in a text file.

The generic command line in the batch file is: echo %1 >>c:\temp\gps-list.txt

As a variant of this, I have set it up to save the list in a .glst file, so that the images can be viewed directly in gPhotoShow. However, all file path names in the .glst file are automatically enclosed in "double quotes" by the echo %1 command. This means that gPS cannot load the images, unless the quotation marks are first stripped from the file names. (At least that is my experience.)

I spent a couple of hours reviewing/processing google search results for "echo strip quotes" (it seems this is a wider problem, which many people have tried to find solutions for) but I've not been clever enough to figure out how to apply them to this particular situation.

I know I can achieve the desired result by going into the .glst file and running a simple search/replace, but I would like to avoid that extra step if a couple of lines of code in the original batch file would do the trick.

Can anyone assist?
gpb
Site Admin

Post by gpb »

I did a quick search and found that using %~1 instead of %1 should remove any surrounding quotes, in this page there are further methods:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/8046 ... batch-file
Gianpaolo Bottin
gPhotoShow.com