gPhotoShow runs out of memory while scanning folders

Post your questions, bug reports and feature requests here
steodatus

Re: gPhotoShow runs out of memory while scanning folders

Post by steodatus »

7.3.0 build 787.
I'll do a search for .nef files but I doubt I have any. Malformed exif tags on the other hand are very possible. The screen saver didn't show the error message last time it kicked in. But if it happens again, I will definitely email the log to you.
Speaking of, can you recommend an exif checker (preferably command line batch capable on Linux)?

The search just finished; no .nef files.

Thank you for your help
gpb
Site Admin

Post by gpb »

ExifTool is the best command line utility to manipulate and read any exif/xmp/itpc tag, it has lots of parameters but I don't whether it has "test" mode.
Gianpaolo Bottin
gPhotoShow.com
steodatus

Post by steodatus »

Yup, found it but I can't find a test mode either.
However, there is a more basic Linux utility called exif that will complain loudly if it finds errors and it does allow you to fix them if you want to. But it looks like it doesn't recurse like ExifTool.
steodatus

Post by steodatus »

I found out that if I turn off the 'remember where you left off and make sure you don't repeat yourself until the end of the list' prevents the problem from happening in gphotoshow. I am checking now if the same approach works for wallpaperss.
Don't know if this specific to windows 10 pro version 1511 x64 on i76700k where I stepped on the problem or not but I haven't seen it on either a win 10 pro running on an older gen i5 or on a win 7 running on amd. both of those are looking to the same share and the win 7 also loads a very large file list. But then I didn't actually look to reproduce it either.
Does the system disk drive matter? Each of those systems uses a different disk drive tech.
gpb
Site Admin

Post by gpb »

Changing that setting in gPhotoShow reduces peak memory allocation during folder scan. The test version of gPhotoShow I sent you reduces peak memory allocation by the same amount so it should work much better.
Windows version should not matter, only the number of files and path length.
Gianpaolo Bottin
gPhotoShow.com
steodatus

Post by steodatus »

Hey Gianpaolo,
This test build does wonders and with a much larger number of files. Thank you for the help.
gpb
Site Admin

Post by gpb »

Thanks for your feedback, memory peak allocation is now reduced by 33% so it can actually handle a larger number of files. I moved some code so now an additional copy of the files list is not needed any longer.
This build will be released as version 7.4
Gianpaolo Bottin
gPhotoShow.com
vjdeedee

Post by vjdeedee »

Any news on the 64-Bit version? As i wrote last year, we are willing to pay you the software-license-fee needed for the x64 version, if we can get the x64 version. Please contact us, if this is an option for you.
Regards
gpb
Site Admin

Post by gpb »

Hi,
64 bit version is almost ready and It will definitely be included in Version 8, however at the moment I can't say when it will be released, there some things left to do. I hope to complete it within few months.
However I am really wondering why you need a 64 bit version, current version is already able to handle millions of files.
Gianpaolo Bottin
gPhotoShow.com
vjdeedee

Post by vjdeedee »

yeah i'm really aware of the power of gphotoshow and another possibility is running more instances of it, simultaniously for different monitors. But then you have to split picture folders for not displaying duplicate pictures. we already use very good machines with superfast SSDs and lots of RAM. I hoped it would maybe speed things up overall a little. Most problems come from reading the picture folders the first time and if you split up screens, the time multiplicates until the first pictures of the show comes up. didn't find a way to speed this up.