Change how GPS selects which monitors to run on

Post your questions, bug reports and feature requests here
paul1965

Change how GPS selects which monitors to run on

Post by paul1965 »

Is there any way to change how GPS selects which monitors to run on, from the single choice in a dropdown to a check box for each monitor? I have 3 LCD monitors in front of me, and an LCD TV behind me. Ideally I would like GPS to use one folder for the TV and another folder for the 3 monitors. However since I can't do that, I'd like to disable GPS on the TV altogether and run a different screensaver (not GPS) instead. The other screensaver I use runs each instance for each monitor in the toolbar, so technically I can close 3 of them and leave it running on the TV only, then launch GPS on all 4 then toggle the other to be back on top, but I don't really want to waste the CPU resources by having 2 screensavers running at the same time.
gpb
Site Admin

Re: Change how GPS selects which monitors to run on

Post by gpb »

Hello,
without the help of a third party application you can't run more than one screen saver and even with with those applications usually there are limitations because screen savers run in preview mode.
Unfortunately gPhotoShow doesn't allow to choose a list of monitor, it can be configured to display its slideshow on:
- primary monitor only
- all secondary monitors
- a single monitor of your choice

Displaying a specific content for each monitor is not that hard, open the filters tab in the gPhotoShow configuration window, then for each monitor tick the option "Include" and "Full file name contains", in the text box enter the name of the folder you wish to display on that monitor followed by a wildcard, for example if your folder is c:\myfolder1 enter:
*\\myfolder1\\*

or

c:\\myfolder1\\*

the first is more generic and will include both c:\myfolder1 and c:\pics\myfolder1
Gianpaolo Bottin
gPhotoShow.com
paul1965

Post by paul1965 »

Thanks for the quick reply. I just tried your suggestion but couldn't get it to work properly. The 3 LCD's displayed just one image from the correct folder while the TV remained blank. GPS then hung, and when I tried to exit out of it and the process had to be killed. I failed to mention that both folders are on a network drive, so I'm not sure if that causes an issue with the filters.
gpb
Site Admin

Post by gpb »

A network drive could be slow and when using filters gPhotoShow may access to several files before it can find something to display.
I would try filters on local files, then if they work you can try with files from the network
Gianpaolo Bottin
gPhotoShow.com
paul1965

Post by paul1965 »

Okay, I'll play around with it some more.