gPhotoShow Pro does not show Cyrillic properly from DESCRIPT.ION or from gprop files

Post your questions, bug reports and feature requests here
Andrej

gPhotoShow Pro does not show Cyrillic properly from DESCRIPT.ION or from gprop files

Post by Andrej »

My gPhotoShow Pro version is 7.2.2 .
OS is Windows 7.
The default language for programs that do not support Unicode is set to "Russian" in my Windows.
gpb
Site Admin

Re: gPhotoShow Pro does not show Cyrillic properly from DESCRIPT.ION or from gprop files

Post by gpb »

Hello,
unfortunately the descript.ion is an old standard and has no specified way to encode non ansi chars for this reason gPhotoShow doesn't attempt to convert what it reads from there.
After reading your message I changed a parameter in the function that reads the descript.ion, now it checks whether the file has UTF-8 or UTF-16/UCS-2 BOM, if one is present the text is converted appropriately if not present it works as before (only ansi text).
This means that to display Russian text you need to load descript.ion with Notepad++, choose Encoding->Encode in UTF-8 and save.

About .gprop files. gPhotoShow saves them as UTF-16/UCS-2/Unicode but if you edit them with an external editor you must save them as UTF-16/UCS-2/Unicode with BOM (UTF-8 in this case is not supported). Again you can do it with Notepad++.
Here is the updated gPhotoShow Pro version:
http://www.gphotoshow.com/files/gpsprosetup-722-756.exe

Note:
UTF-16/UCS-2/Unicode are different names for the same encoding.
Without BOM gPhotoShow is not able to convert char encoding correctly.
Notepad++ is a free text editor, it is very useful to convert text from one encoding to another or to save it with a specific encoding.
Gianpaolo Bottin
gPhotoShow.com
Andrej

Re: gPhotoShow Pro does not show Cyrillic properly from DESCRIPT.ION or from gprop files

Post by Andrej »

Hello Gianpaolo,

Thank you for your reply!
This means that to display Russian text you need to load descript.ion with Notepad++, choose Encoding->Encode in UTF-8 and save.
Do you mean if I do it, it will work with the current version of gPhotoShow I have, which is 7.2.2? Before writing my first request I tried to save the DESCRIPT.ION file in UTF-8 and it did not work anyway. I will try again to be sure.
About .gprop files. gPhotoShow saves them as UTF-16/UCS-2/Unicode but if you edit them with an external editor you must save them as UTF-16/UCS-2/Unicode with BOM
No, I edited gprop files with the embedded editor: in the Image Properties dialog. I entered some Russian description from that dialog and the description was not shown properly during a slide show.
gpb
Site Admin

Post by gpb »

Andrej wrote: Do you mean if I do it, it will work with the current version of gPhotoShow I have, which is 7.2.2? Before writing my first request I tried to save the DESCRIPT.ION file in UTF-8 and it did not work anyway. I will try again to be sure.
No, the released 7.2.2 doesn't support UTF-8 in descript.ion files, you need at least build 756 from my previous reply.
Andrej wrote: No, I edited gprop files with the embedded editor: in the Image Properties dialog. I entered some Russian description from that dialog and the description was not shown properly during a slide show.
That's rather weird. I know it works for several users using Korean and Japanese, anyway I tried to enter some Cyrillic text and gPhotoShow saved and displayed it correctly. Try again on a photo that has no .gprop file, but first install gPhotoShow Pro 7.2.2.756
Gianpaolo Bottin
gPhotoShow.com
Andrej

Post by Andrej »

I tried some Russian description in a gprop file again and I confirm that it worked when the Russian text was entered in the embedded editor. I must have been mistaken to report that it did not work. I tested it with gPhotoShow Pro 7.2.2, I have not installed build 756 yet...
Andrej

Post by Andrej »

I installed version 7.2.2.756 and tested a Russian text in an UTF-8 + BOM DESCRIPT.ION file. It worked. Thank you very much for your replies/fixes.
gpb
Site Admin

Post by gpb »

ok. Thank you very much for your feedback :D
Gianpaolo Bottin
gPhotoShow.com