Avoid bounce

Post your questions, bug reports and feature requests here
MacShot

Avoid bounce

Post by MacShot »

Hi,

Is there a way of configuring gPhotoPro correctly in order to prevent, what I call, this bouncing effect at the point of transition of the images?
Other slideshow tools using the Ken Burns effect (the pan/zoom) manage to maintain a slightly smoother transition when showing the next image. gPhotoPro always makes the moment when reaching the nodal point visible to the user, either in the current or the next image, thus creating a sort of bouncing effect. For a second you can always see the image switch directions.

As far as I'm concerned, I'd like the nodal point to not be visible at all, not in the current nor in the next image. It somehow completely destroys the cool and smooth Ken Burns effect. But it seems like I can't get it right with the configurable parameters in Images->Transition. Setting "Image transition before nodal point" does make the transition before the nodal point, alright. But then the nodal point is even more visible in the next image, which looks even worse. But I'd say the solution is or should be somewhere there. I guess the next image would have to already panning-zooming as soon as the transition starts, and not just begin panning-zooning when the transition is finished. Or am I missing another (already existing) parameter making that possible?

Other than that: very good tool! Love it. Using it for years now. Bought a new pro license everytime the old one wasn't valid anymore. Keep it up!

Regards,
Mac
gpb
Site Admin

Re: Avoid bounce

Post by gpb »

Hello,
gPhotoShow can't be configured in the way you wish. Currently the P&Z effect is designed to keep the 2 images (the old and the new) synchronized (they move and zoom together). If I understand correctly you wish that when the old one disappears near the nodal point the new image appears already moving in the other direction, currently gPhotoShow can't be configured to work in this way. Anyway I am wondering whether in this way is better, during the transition for a short time both images are visible, mixed together and if they move in opposite directions probably the effect is not so nice. Maybe also the transition should be changed. Do you have any video sample of this effect ?
Gianpaolo Bottin
gPhotoShow.com
MacShot

Post by MacShot »

Thanks for the reply.
I don't have a video. But I do have a different screensaver doing exactly what I described. Unfortunately this screensaver does not have as much other options as yours. I'll try sending it to you by PM. Let me see if that works.

Cheers,
Mac
MacShot

Post by MacShot »

Ah, I see. There's a sample video on the guy's website:
http://blog.greggman.com/blog/nostalgic-screensaver/
gpb
Site Admin

Post by gpb »

Thanks for the video. It does exactly what I described, the transition starts before old image reaches the nodal point and the coming image starts in the opposite direction. Personally I don't like the effect, anyway I will see whether a further configuration can be added to gPhotoShow to enable this specific behavior.
Gianpaolo Bottin
gPhotoShow.com
MacShot

Post by MacShot »

Thanks. Appreciate it! :-)
MacShot

Post by MacShot »

The specific behaviour we discussed did not make it into the latest update (version 6.3.0), did it?!

Regards,
Mac
gpb
Site Admin

Post by gpb »

No, it is not included in 6.3.0. However it is one of the top items in the todo list.
Gianpaolo Bottin
gPhotoShow.com
MacShot

Post by MacShot »

Ok, good to know.

By the way: When I select "Image transition before nodal point" (in v6.3.0), the next image always whites out before moving into its designated direction. Any potential mistake on my part? Or maybe a bug?

Mac
gpb
Site Admin

Post by gpb »

MacShot wrote: By the way: When I select "Image transition before nodal point" (in v6.3.0), the next image always whites out before moving into its designated direction. Any potential mistake on my part? Or maybe a bug?
I think it is normal, the program calculates the starting point for the transition so that the alpha value reaches 0 exactly on the nodal point however depending on your display adapter and the monitor it is possible that the old image become fully transparent a little before but this is unpredictable and can vary from one computer to another.
BTW, we implemented the changes needed to perform image transition across the nodal point. You can download a pre-release of gPhotoShow Pro from here.
Gianpaolo Bottin
gPhotoShow.com