Huge flash at picture change

Post your questions, bug reports and feature requests here
Fitzwilly

Huge flash at picture change

Post by Fitzwilly »

I've used Wallpaper Slideshow-LT for years. Every time the picture changes, any of my open windows, regardless of what they are, will either flash and clear or flash and reload the contents. If I am photo editing, the current frame will lose its contents and I have to reload it. I'd hoped the latest version (1.6.0) would help, but it hasn't.

I've tracked down this flash to the use of the desktop video buffer by Wallpaper Slideshow. When the new Bitmapped picture is jammed into the buffer, due caution isn't exercised to do this during a refresh cycle. Can this action be changed so that the screen doesn't flash and clear current windows?

Bill
gpb
Site Admin

Re: Huge flash at picture change

Post by gpb »

Hello,
WallpaperSS uses standard windows active desktop API to set a new desktop wallpaper. This usually doesn't cause any flash or other problems, if this happens it is probably due to something specific to your computer. For example it can be caused by another running program that reacts to wallpaper change or by display adapter drivers.
Anyway since other users had a similar issue I added an alternative way to set a new wallpaper but this requires a updated version of the program. Please download and install v1.7.0 from here:
http://www.gphotoshow.com/files/WallpaperSSLT_170.exe

Then run the program and see if flashing is still there, if yes, close the program (Right click on its icon and choose "Exit"). Open the attached zip file, extract DisableActiveDesktop.reg and double click on it.
Run again WallpaperSS, now it should change wallpaper without flashing.
DisableActiveDesktop.zip
(669 Bytes) Downloaded 461 times
Gianpaolo Bottin
gPhotoShow.com
Fitzwilly

Post by Fitzwilly »

Sorry. I've installed version 1.7.0 and changed the interval for wallpaper change to 1 minute. Every minute, the open windows flash and clear their contents. The desktop also flashes as if a "refresh" had been issued.

I ran the registry disable entry and restarted WallpaperSSLT. It still flashes.No change at all. Could it have something to do with Aero?

Update: When the screen flashes now, the previously active window now overlays the current window when the screen flashes. It didn't used to do that.

Bill
Fitzwilly

Post by Fitzwilly »

I have further (and better) information.

I investigated all my system settings for Windows. I found a setting that allowed the wallpaper to be changed with NO flashing. Unfortunately, it is a setting that make windows look like the old Windows 98 (which was terrible).

To get to the setting, you need Control Panel then System. Go to Advanced System Settings --> Performance Settings. On the Visual Effects tab, UNCHECK "Use Visual Styles on Windows and Buttons". When you click "Apply" and cycle WallpaperSSLT, the screen will NOT flash nor will any window be disturbed. Unfortunately, that makes all your windows flat and uninteresting and horrible to even look at. That's worse than the flashing. However, this might give a clue as to how it is happening.

Bill
gpb
Site Admin

Post by gpb »

Which windows version are you using ?
Anyway I think there is nothing I can do about that issue.
I guess the problem is due to the display adapter drivers that maybe doesn't fully support the windows aero interface.
Gianpaolo Bottin
gPhotoShow.com
Fitzwilly

Post by Fitzwilly »

I should have included that information right at first. Sorry. Windows 7 Ultimate (64-bit) SP1. My video card is NVIDIA GT710 with video driver set of 388.00 (the latest, I think). The screen flashes have been around for at least five older sets of drivers, so I doubt drivers are the cause unless it is something buried deep.

Bill
Fitzwilly

Post by Fitzwilly »

More oddities: I have two laptops and another desktop. All run Windows 7 of various flavors. Both laptops are 64-bit and the desktop is 32-bit. None of the other three exhibit this flashing, yet as near as I can determine, all screen/OS settings are the same for all four computers. Laptops are using built-in video (1 NVIDIA and 1 Intel) 32-bit desktop runs NVIDIA 8400GS with latest drivers (I know it's an old card).

All I can do is lengthen the interval between wallpaper changes to a half hour or so. I used to have it at 5 minutes, but the interruptions got too disruptive. I'll keep fiddling with settings and see if I can come up with a reason why the one computer is different.

If I find something, I'll come back here.

Bill