Unable to activate or configure screensaver

Post your questions, bug reports and feature requests here
AndySuk

Unable to activate or configure screensaver

Post by AndySuk »

Hi

I've downloaded and installed the trial version of WSP (thankyou).

The option to Start Screen Saver from the main menu is enabled but it doesn't appear to start. Configure Screen Saver does nothing when I left-click on it. If I go to my Display Properties I get the normal Windows 7 screen saver options but no options for WSP.

Could you tell me what I'm doing wrong? I also set a hotkey to start the screensaver (CTRL+SHIFT+S) (I'm used to using webshots!) but that has no effect.

I'm running the 64-bit version of Windows Home Premium. I've been looking for a replacement for the webshots desktop (which is radically changing) and your program does what I want...as long as I can configure the screensaver :D . I suspect I'm doing something daft but can't see anything in the options to help.

Thanks for your help.

Andy
AndySuk

Re: Unable to activate or configure screensaver

Post by AndySuk »

Strangely this problem seems to have fixed itself. Each of the options - Start Screensaver, Display Properties and Configure Screensaver are now working fine. I'm baffled as I'd completely closed the machine down on Friday night and started it back up - not just a restart.

Anyway - obviously something that I'd done so I can now go and configure. Apologies for taking up the space with a problem that wasn't really a problem however just a few thoughts in case anyone else finds the same thing; I'd been trying out different screensavers/wallpaper changers that evening. I always restart after installing or uninstalling programs and I never had more than one screensaver installed ata time. When I uninstall I also check that no folders are left from the uninstalled program and always clean the registry with Ccleaner. Having said that I can only think that there must have been a conflict so, should the same thing happen to anyone else, these thoughts may give some guidance.

Best regards

Andy
gpb
Site Admin

Re: Unable to activate or configure screensaver

Post by gpb »

Hard to say what caused that issue. When using the commands "Start screen saver" and "Configure Screen Saver" WallpaperSS simply sends a message to windows which should do what the user requested. Both commands only works if there is configured screen saver and the "Start" command only works if the screen saver is allowed to start. For example on windows 7 if you interrupt the screen saver within few seconds it disables the screen saver itself for some minutes and if you try to use the "Start" command it will not work.
It is possible that for some reason a computer restart was needed but it's hard to say the reason.
Gianpaolo Bottin
gPhotoShow.com